As you may know, my grandmother was a large inspiration for my cooking. She always encouraged natural ingredients– butter instead of margarine, sugar instead of Sweet n’ Low etc… What’s so funny to me, is that these days we are moving back to a more basic “farm-to-fork” model– it’s like we are trying to model what our grandparents had.
I have to admit I am not always perfect at eating naturally; my budget and time don’t always allow for 100% natural ingredients and food, however, I try to emulate my grandmother’s instructions as much as I can. That’s why when I recently received this recipe from my grandpa, I immediately put it to use! Hope you enjoy!
Crab Sandwiches a la Philomena:
- 1 1/2 cups Crab Meat
- 1 cup Mayonaise
- 3/4 cup diced Green Onions
- 1 Baguette (French or Sourdough)
- 2 slices Colby Jack cheese per sandwich
- Salt as needed to enhance flavor
- Before starting, set the oven to Broil.
- Cut bread down the middle, and then into sandwich lengths, and toast in oven both sides.
- While toasting the bread, mix the crab meat, mayo, and onions in a bowl. Salt as desired.
- After the bread is warm from the oven, place the crab mixture onto the bread. Adjust the oven back down to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place in the oven until nice and warm.
- Remove bread and crab mixture from the oven and add a generous amount of Colby Jack cheese.
- Put back into oven and bake until cheese is melted. Serve immediately!